We got these from a pet store on vacation and they are plush toys with stuffing and when squeezed they "ribbit" like a frog instead of squeaking. I do not blame the pet store as they did not make this toy and I doubt they even know how dangerous they are. I will contact them to warn about the safety issues these pose to pets.
Tonight Bella and I were playing with Mom and Bella found a small hole in the fabric she could pull stuffing out of. Mom quickly removed stuffing from her tongue and then picked some up off the floor and found a small piece of plastic like the top part of a battery compartment on the floor by the stuffing. She felt around in the toy and removed the plastic box that makes the ribbit sound. The small box had a battery slot with only one watch sized battery still in place and room for more, where are they? GASP !!!! I have never seen Mom move so fast. She ripped that poor frog wide open from leg to leg and chin to tail. She made stuffing fly like snow during a blizzard. Mom looks at Bella and with my extra special connection to Mom's emotions I knew she was frantically thinking where are the other batteries, how many are there, did Bella swallow one, I only looked away for a second to toss Emma's toy for her, AGH! Sifting through the innards of Mr. Frog Mom found battery number two, more sifting and battery number three was located. Batteries were placed back in the plastic box and all are accounted for. YEAH!!! Crisis averted. WHEW! Bella's innards have been spared from x-rays and Dr's probings, but poor Mr. Frog did not fare so well. Then Mom ripped open the other frog and it too confirmed three batteries and it's plastic box was cracked and falling apart.
We have searched online for the manufacturer but have been unable to find any helpful information. We would like to contact them and tell them how dangerous it is to put batteries in dog toys along with plastic boxes that crack and splinter.
We had no idea those things were inside. Now we will be more careful in our evaluation of a toy before purchasing it.
| plastic battery and ribbit sound maker housing |
| lid to battery slot that does not fasten tight or secure |
| three batteries in each toy |
| Grriggles toys - HAZARDOUS |
Mom knows that toys should be supervised and we were supervised she was on the floor playing with us with our toys. We should not have to worry that inside our stuffies are toxic and corrosive components that could be life threatening.
Just a warning to all my dog friends. Be Safe.
Emma
Scary! Thanks for the warning!
ReplyDeleteClose call. Phew! I would be frantic looking for those batteries as well.
ReplyDeleteMango Momma
I posted a link to this on my FB. Very important for people to be aware.
ReplyDeleteMango Momma
THANK YOU!!!!!
ReplyDeleteJake and Just Harry
Wow NOT GOOD! Thanks for the heads up! Glad Mom was there to get those bad innards out of your Froggies. Bet your eyeballs got real big when Mom destuffed your toys for ya BOL! Way to go Mom! :D
ReplyDeleteWaggin at ya,
Roo
That's a scarey story! Glad everything is A-OK! Our mom finds it weird that they would put a hard box with batteries in a toy that dogs play with!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the warning!
Sam and Pippen
Thank goodness I've never seen these toys in NZ as I'm a bit of a frog freak and they're so pretty I probably would have bought a couple even knowing Frankie would destroy them quick smart. Good on you for posting this warning, and for realising the potential dangers!
ReplyDelete