| bat or dog? |
| it's trying to contact the home planet |
Funny thing is when the Dr.'s prescribe the use of a cone the instructions also come with "limited activity for 10 days" so I'm wondering why the cones literature says it's lined with a reflective material for night walks. Hmmmmm. I suppose some doggies may be using it for reasons other than surgery. I think it should be made in a lighter color because black just makes it way too dark in there. I suppose it was probably more comfortable and less traumatic than those stiff heavy plastic cones. I'll support it's use so long as I'm not the one having to wear it ;)
I think Bella was the happiest of all when the cone came off. She was scared of Sweet Pea in the cone. It was big and clumsy and made noise when it awkwardly banged against the kennel.
Mom and Dad are always worried about the risks of anesthesia. That is why I haven't had my weird bumps (benign) removed or my teeth cleaned. They were very worried about Sweet Pea and how she would do with the surgery and recovery. They were also worried because we think she is a bit overweight for her size and hoped it would not cause any trouble.
Rest assured all went well. The humans fretted and were filled with dread. I guess Mom should have applied one of her favorite verses "There they were overwhelmed with dread where there was nothing to dread". She keeps saying she really wants to learn all the things I have to teach her, but she just doesn't listen closely enough to me especially when I tried to tell her Sweet Pea would be fine. I told her to relax Bella and I both did just fine with our surgeries. Always remember an Emma knows best :)
At least Sweet Pea came home with all her boobies. I somehow lost one. Yep, I'm missing a boobie. It happened after the surgery where they removed a lump in my mammary gland that was benign. Oh well, they have shrunken so tiny I can't even find them so I guess it's no big deal. Did you know that Sweet Pea was born with an odd number of boobies? Hehehehehehe ;)
Mom and Dad didn't take us along because they thought Sweet Pea would rather have a peaceful ride home and we would have been sniffing all over her trying to figure out why she smelled funny and who had been touching her. Our Dr. is almost an hour away so Mom and Dad did a lot of driving that day. They took Sweet Pea in around 8:00 a.m. had breakfast at IHOP and didn't even bring us back any bacon. Then they went to the pet store, some bookstores, some other stores and then they came back home to let us out to potty before driving straight back up to pick up Sweet Pea. She got to leave the Dr.'s at 3:00 p.m. Mom and Dad was back in time for another potty break and dinner. Yes, we did sniff all over her when she arrived home. She smelled all mediciney and stinky. We were very careful not to bump her because we could tell something wasn't right and she needed to heal and get all better.
Sweet Pea has a temporary zipper kinda like we had except hers is metal. Yeah, they used staples. What!? Ouch!! The Vet Tech said the Dr. used staples because of her age. I was about the same age or a year older and thankfully I just got stitches. I secretly wonder if they didn't use staples because she's....well how do I say it nicely......a bit plump. Mom asked it was because she was fat and the Vet Tech just smiled and said no. I bet it was.
Sweet Pea has done very well and tolerated all the weird stuff like having to use a ramp to go outside, wearing the cone, only going outside to potty, staying in her kennel most of the time. She was able to be out longer and longer as the days went by as long as Mom or Dad was there to watch and make sure she didn't do anything silly like try to jump on the couch, play with us, lick her stitches. I'm most positive that she can't even find them. Seriously it's like they are hidden in a valley with mountains on each side.
After 10 days which was last Thursday she had her staples removed and her ears checked because one has been really bothering her and she has a small infection. She gets her ears cleaned now twice a day and an ointment called Panalog. Mom said while she was cleaning Sweet Pea's ears she might as well clean ours too. Why? We didn't get diagnosed with an ear infection. So not fair!!
Sweet Pea was so excited to be able to get her staples out so she could finally get up on her favorite spot....MY couch.
I have to say Mom has been a bit too busy making sure we are all doctored up and stuff. She thinks she has to brush our teeth every night, clean our ears, squirt meds in Pea's ears, put salve on my elbow, give me antibiotics, give me vitamins, give Sweet Pea Pepcid. She really needs to slow it down and take a break I can do without all those things. Then she could stop complaining it takes an hour every night to get things done before we go to bed.
About my elbow.........it was healing up very nicely because Mom was home for a week and then Dad was home for a few days after that so I was never able to find anytime to sneak in any licks :( Then finally they left for a couple hours and I licked nonstop the entire time and licked a crater in my elbow. Mom said it was too gross to show pictures here. In my previous post about my elbow my dear friend Honey's human recommended a long sleeve shirt. Mom couldn't believe they had never thought of that. I am very embarrassed to say Mom's sewing skills are not so good when trying to alter a human shirt to fit me. She had to buy a 3XL woman's size so it would fit my chest then the rest was way, way, way, too big. She worked on trying to alter it for 2 days and this is how it turned out.................Please save me from the embarrassment I can't be seen like this.
What's wrong with this picture? Where do I begin. The sleeves are two different lengths and I keep tripping over the right one. What is up with that pointy thing in the chest area? I'm not Madonna. It's a bit too long. As if this wasn't bad enough she went and bought me another shirt to wear for when this one is in the wash and she plans on trying to alter that one too. Does anyone out there sew? Can someone PLEASE make me a shirt that fits properly in the all the right areas. Mom is going to call around to some local businesses that alter human garments and see if anyone has the ability or desire to help me out. We have bought doggie clothes for me, but even when they say it's supposed to fit my measurements it never does. Usually too tight in the chest and I can't move properly and we have a difficult time getting my legs in the sleeves.
I guess long story short we have been spending a lot of time driving back and forth to the vet for one of us. I think we've been there at least once if not twice a month for the past few months. Mom and Dad half joke we should move closer.
Paws crossed I can keep my tongue off my elbow long enough for it to heal up so I don't have to have surgery done to remove the infected gland. I've been on antibiotics for a month and Mom and Dad are worried about the long term use of them. I just have to tell myself I can do it, I can do it, I can do it.
Emma
Oh dear I should have made Mom let me check in on y'all sooner! :O You've been needin some healin vibes and I've been gone! :( Sending Emma and Sweet Pea LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of super duper healing vibes! :D
ReplyDeleteNow about that shirt Emma...BOL! I can empathize. If Mom tried to make me one I'd probably fare much worse than you :) At least she gave it a good go! :D and Red looks smashing on ya :)
I'll ask Mom to add you to the suped up Power of the Paw widget she's about to launch :)
I've missed y'all!
Waggin at ya,
Roo
We will definitely keep our paws crossed that your elbow gets better and we are so happy Sweet Pea did ok with her surgery. Surgery is scary. Mom brushes are teeth daily so that we dont need anesthesia. Unfortunately Dr. Zira wont let us brush her teeth as she never got used to it young. She has had ot have her teeth cleaned and extracted 2 times since we adopted her. Last time she had anesthesia to move a bump, that tunrned out to be b 9, the vet said she didnt do to well, so more anethesia for her. One thing that makes mom feel better is going to a big fancy hospital for our surgeries rather then the local clinic to her its worth the extra money
ReplyDeleteThere has happend a lot lately. I hope you and Sweet Pea will heal soon!
ReplyDeleteI know how hard it is to not lick (or scratch or tear) those nasty things. I have some rash in my leg and it's been there about two years now. But I scratch it and always forgot to grease it :( (or be too lazy to but some grease on it). It would be much better if I could just stop scratching it but it's hard. Maybe I need some kind of a cone for my arm or leg... My partner said he's going to tape cloves on my hands :D
-Lilli-
Well, we like the comfy cone better because when Pea had a hard cone I was so scared of him and thought he was a MONSTER than needed to be run out of the house.
ReplyDeleteMiss Emma, you look divine in your sweatshirt. I hope it does the trick for you.
Slobbers,
Mango
Wow, you two have been through some serious issues. Emma we think your mom did a good job on the sweatshirt! Those booboos are so tempting to lick! Try really hard to leave that elbow alone.
ReplyDeleteNina has to be spayed sometime next month and mom is really worried too. It is so hard to keep a big active dog quiet. Nina will have the gastropexy done at the same time so mom plans to take off of work for a week to stay home with Nina. We are glad to hear that Sweet Pea did not have any problems. We will have to buy one of those Comfy Cones for Nina - thanks for showing us the cone.
Take care of yourselves!
Nina, Myshka, Sasha, Betsy, Lucy, Phoebe and Lily
I'm so sorry to be late again! I'm pleased to hear that Sweet Pea's spay went well, even if she didn't like wearing the cone and stuff! I do think that looks a lot more comfy than the horrible big satellite dish plastic one that I had to wear when I had my spay! That made me MISERABLE.
ReplyDeleteAnd I think you're a bit hard on your human – I think she did a great job with that shirt! You should be glad you don't live with MY human – she would've totally butchered everything. She can't even sew a button on straight. Anyway, it's not exactly like you're doing it for a fashion show – as long as it works and is functional and comfortable, that's all that matters, right? :-)
Another idea which might help is maybe if you find some kind of top in a stretchy fabric – like a cardigan, with a zip or buttons – rather than a pullover, over the head. My humans found that this worked better for me. I will e-mail you a photo of this top that they found for me – it actually belonged to a friend of Hsin-Yi's – it was stretch cotton knit, one of those baggy kinds – and it fits very well around me. Hsin-Yi just turned it around so that the zipper went along my back, rather than my chest. I have the same problem as you in having a very deep chest so most "conventional" dog clothes don't fit me very well – but I found the stretchy fabric in this top worked okay. So maybe if you can find something like this. And you can always roll the sleeves up anyway – that's what we did. Anyway, I will send you the photo when you can see what I mean.
Good luck!
Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane
Hi! Me again :) Emma got you linked in on the new POTP Widget. As Sweet Pea seems to be okey dokey Yay!, I just put you in it so everyone would know to send you their healing vibes :) Keeping you in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteWaggin at ya,
Roo
Got your note about Sweet Pea's inflamed colon. Poor thing! :( Added her to the POTP Widget. Sure hope everyone in your household are all well again soon! :)
ReplyDeleteWaggin at ya,
Roo
Listen, kid, when mom starts sewing for you, you know you've got it made! :) We hope you're both better soon and on the road to recovery!
ReplyDelete