Sunday, July 29, 2012

Power of the Paw Please

Hi,

It's Emma's mom and I just wanted to share with you some new developments.  We had posted previously about Emma not eating.  The doctor said it's unfortunately a part of the aging process.  He prescribed a steroid to help with inflammation and it will also increase appetite and increase thirst to help motivate her to eat and drink.  To start with it's 2 pills a day for 5 days, then 1 pill a day for 5 days and then 1 pill every other day until gone.  Emma did awesome on the 2 pills a day.  Then when we went to 1 pill a day she started showing signs of not wanting to eat as much though she was still eating more than she had been prior to the Prednisone.  It's still very upsetting to see her reverting back to leaving uneaten food in her bowl after showing such promising signs only 5 days earlier. This morning she looked at her breakfast and took a couple bites and left the kitchen spitting kibble out as she went.  Tonight she did eat 1 cup of kibble mixed with 1 1/4 cups cooked macaroni and about 1 cup of cooked beef liver.  The doctor said to try feeding her beef liver because it has a lot of nutrients in it.  We try to rotate feeding her chicken and rice or beef liver and macaroni or hamburger with either rice or macaroni with her kibble at each meal.  She doesn't like the rice very much so my plan is to see how long she will cooperate with the macaroni.  She doesn't seem to like any kind of dry kibble anymore so we have decided to try feeding her only things she is happy to eat and after she is reliably eating on a regular basis then gradually adding back the kibble. 

We were concerned part of her aversion to eating might be related to all the pills she has had to take since about last Nov.  She's had recurring infections of some kind or another.  Most troublesome has been the cyst/infected gland on her leg that she was licking and making worse.  Each time that flares up it takes 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear it up.  We were trying to "hide" those pills in food.  She accidentally chewed into them a few times and I'm sure they didn't taste very pleasant and she's hesitant if not all out refusing to take food and treats we offer by hand.  Stupid me even tried hiding the pills in her meals and she found them.  The vet has advised we give all pills separate from any food so there is no negative association with the food we give her.  I feel really horrible thinking we may have contributed to her not wanting to eat.   

Does anyone have any other suggestions to encourage eating?

The not so good news is she is eating and still lost another 2 pounds in about a week.  The doctor says unfortunately that may happen because her body is not adequately using the food she is eating.  Even if we tried to feed a high calorie food like puppy food her body wouldn't be able to utilize it and it would just be eliminated via bowel movements or diarrhea. 

Emma's rear end is becoming weak from the loss of muscle and we have to try and keep her active to prevent further muscle loss and weakness.

I asked the doctor what we do if she continues to lose weight while eating more or what happens if she doesn't want to eat.  He said that's when the organs will begin to shut down and those are the animals that will usually pass away in their sleep.  He said it would be peaceful and she wouldn't be in any pain.  Those were the most difficult words I have ever had to process. I can't lose my best friend, my heart and soul girl, the love of my life. 

I don't understand what happened.  She's always been this big happy perky full of life girl with an I'll eat anything appetite.  Everyone that sees her has always thought she's just a young dog.  They're amazed to learn her actual age.  Now, I look at my sweet baby and I see a very old and very slow dog.  I see a much different dog than I had only 8 months ago.   

I wish I could go back and make her life better.  I wish I had never broken promises of walks and play times and homemade goodies.  I wish I had never at any time raised my voice or gotten upset about anything.  I wish I had spent less time on the computer, less time doing whatever it was and more time with her. 

I hate writing such a depressing post.  I know people like happy and uplifting stories and events.  I wish I had one to tell.  Hopefully our next post will be better.  I plan on making the rest of Emma's days happy and enriching.  I want to make sure to allow her plenty of opportunities to do the things she enjoys like laying in the yard soaking up the sunshine, going for car rides, walks, drive thru hamburgers and God willing she will still be with us for our annual doggie vacation in November.

If we are absent from Blogville its because we are trying to spend as much time together as possible.  I will try to post to our blog as time allows and if I don't make it around to comment on our friends blogs please remember you are not forgotten we are thinking about all of you and hoping you are having a wonderful summer and Good Luck to all our friends competing in the Blogville Olympics.  Best of Luck !


This is Emma's first professional photograph.  I was thinking her very first collar was the black and white spotted cow pattern collar but after finding this photo I forgot she had a plain one first.  Yeah, we went through the cow phase with her.  She politely indulged our craziness.  What is it with big dogs that have spots?  For some reason we find it fun to dress them in cow prints.  Did you know she even has "cow spots" in her mouth?  A little Emma trivia.


This is Emma's annual photo from 2011. 

My sweet wonderful Emma I pray your weight, health, strength and appetite will be renewed.  I love you!



25 comments:

  1. Poor Emma. Our thoughts are with you and your family.
    Don't look back at all the shoudl've would've could'ves... she's had a great life and knows how much you love her. Enjoy all your time with her.
    Big hugs and giant Dane kisses from Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my heart is breaking for you. I've been through this many times with old dogs. Please don't think you've given Emma anything but the best life, she is deeply loved and extremely well cared for and she knows that, I'm sure. She does have "A Wonderful Dogs Life":) I hope you enjoy many happy days together yet.

    As far as trying to get Emma to eat, I've often cooked up a home made chicken or meat stock and poured that over kibble to make it more enticing. Or cook the rice in the stock. I cook up chicken mince and rice and then add chicken or meat stock to that for Frankie and Beryl. They eat a lot of raw too. What about scrambled eggs? It can be very hard to get dogs and people to eat when they get old and unwell. It's all just too hard for them.

    Good luck and I will be keeping you and Emma in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Our rottweiller Tubthumper was diagnosed with cancer at only 7 years old and given only a few months to live. We had always fed her a typical box store dog food, and after a lot of research we found that this food may have contributed to her cancer.
    After learning the incredible health benefits of a raw diet we started feeding it to her in the hopes of making her life as healthy as possible, and it worked. She went on to live another year. This set in motion our journey, and marked the beginning of her Legacy. "

    http://bit.ly/eGmtby

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://bit.ly/PYGY8U

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are thinking of you.
    Very best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Emma. I am so very worried about you. My Grandpa Angus had similar issues. Momma says he just kind of "wore out." His stout airedale muscles began to vanish and he got skinny and confused a little bit.

    I hope that doesn't happen with you. I am sending all my best healing thoughts ever.

    Tell momma to try a little chicken broth on your kibbles to make them taste better. If your tummy is OK with it, a little canned mackerel is also good because it is nice and stinky. Yum. If you can find a doggie store that sells Primal burgers, those are healthy raw burgers that I eat myself.

    I understand completely that you want to spend time with your mom right now, but keep us posted now and again, OK?

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so so so sorry to hear this and I imagine you must be going through a great deal of pain and fear. You have given and are given Emma a wonderful love filled so never feel guilty.

    Have you tried feeding Emma tripe? Many dogs simply adore it and tripe is very stinky and entices a lot of dogs to eat. It does not have a lot of calories in it but you could mix it in something more calorific. Considering Emmas age and weight loss I would not worry about kibbles and would just feed her whatever she will eat. Even if its hamburger, tripe, peanut butter, etc.

    Unfortunately my experience has been that when dogs stop eating you are approaching the end. Our senior rescue pug Bingo had many issues but was doing fine and then suddenly stopped eating and organs shut down and we had to say good bye. Previous to her passing from pneumonia our Dr, Z was still eating but had lost quite a bit of weight.

    Sadly aging often comes on very quickly a few weeks ago I met a 15 year old large breed who looked good, but old, and the owner and I were discussing aging as my Norbert is quite senior at 10 and he said the age does come on suddenly. Norbert looks great now but I wonder when the aging will happen over night.

    For the hind end weakness maybe you can try one of those bottoms up leashes.

    Please keep us updated and we are thinking of you message me if you would like, Emma is so precious to you and though I have never met her I love her too

    urban hounds mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paws crossed for Emma. We heard about her on Mango's blog. Have you tried sweet potatoes? Lots of dogs love them and they are more nutritious than rice. Good luck. We are thinking of you.

    Your friends,
    Niamh & Ambrose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear :( Hugs to your Mom from my Mom. Aging is a rotten deal. Emma I am sending you tons and tons of wellness vibes. The Power of the Paw is working hard to help you feel good! Pawlease tell your Mom that she has given you a wonderful life and still is. And not to beat herself up about what ifs. She had done very well by you dear Emma :) Now I know this may be a cliched suggestion butt I think in this case someone's Grandma was absolutely correct! "EAT! EAT! EAT!" That tripe suggestion sounds like a good one to try. I'm sure your Mom will find some very nommer things for you to snooter that will make you drool and will not be able to resist nomming down on :)

    Waggin at ya,
    Roo

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, these are such beautiful photos!

    Second - I hear you, loud and clear. My Lucy is going through kidney failure at 14 years old. As the love of my life, I know exactly how you feel: It tears my heart out when she doesn't eat and absolutely makes my heart soar when she does. Every day is different, but I know one day will bring a turning point that I won't be able to control. I dread that day, truly I do.

    I wish I had a magic potion to share with you to get Emma to eat. For me it's been sheer luck. We're crossing our paws and saying some heart-felt prayers for you and Emma. She certainly sounds loved and cherished! How many dogs (and people) have that in their lives!

    All the best to you and Emma. You're in our thoughts.

    The entire Pibble household: Lucy, Trouper, Buster, Charlie, Oliver (and mom) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi...We heard about sweet Emma from Mango. Me and my pack (and my Mom too) and sending prayers and good vibes from our house right to Emma. Hope the next news we hear will be good news and Emma has started to eat again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My friend Mango sent me over. We recently needed the POTP very badly so I am here to pass it along. I hope that your sweet Emma is feeling much better next time I visit. I know the helpless feeling that you have right now. I love your idea of seizing all the time that you have with her to shower her in love and have lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We just came from Mango's blog. Our angel Maggie had kidney disease and she ate glutenous sweet rice twice a day with her meals. It's very sticky but Maggie loved it and it was high in calories and spared her kidneys.
    Our paws are crossed for you, Emma.

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love the professional photos.
    Of course people love a happy post but these posts are very real and part of having fur babies too. It made ME cry! I am still crying as I write this.
    You say your plan is to make the rest of her days as enriching and happy as possible but don't feel guilty about any broken promises or raised voices. Anyone who reads even one of your posts knows that Emma and all your kids have the kind of life all dogs deserve, better than even the happiest pups probably experience!
    Also, I don't know how good it is long-term or not but we used goats milk to encourage a picky and shy foster to eat and she loved that. We'd pour it over her kibble and I felt like I was fixing her cereal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you tried baby food?

    Or warming the food a bit to bring out some aroma?

    AND cheese makes EVERYTHING taste better!

    Khyra will khross the paws for sweet Emma AND Emma's mom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tough times. I send there a lot of strenght! And make the most of the time, and hope she will get better!

    -Lilli-

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello - my friend Mango sent me. I is sorry you are not feeling well. I am the king of not eating my foodables - I is the pickiest eater evers. So, I do have some ideas. YOu can try the rescue Meatballs - http://www.heroswaggintrain.com/health/malnourished.htm they are absolutely yummers and high in calories so you can eat a few and feel betters. Also, parm cheese in the shaker can makes a good sprinkle on food. You can try soaking the kibble or adding a chicken or beef broth to it. Another idea is the Solid gold beef tripe canned food. It's extra stinky and I loves it. I hope you feel better Emma, Foodable keep your energies up.

    woof - Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  18. My friends sent us over to your site...we are very sorry to hear of your struggles with Emma. There are no words to make you feel any better, and everyone has said such wonderful things to you....when Mom's minpin was sick they bought baby food meat and gave it to him, sometimes he would eat it...they also used beef broth which he loved and pedealyte (spell?) for babies...sometimes he would eat and drink, and sometimes not...Mom says Dogs are smarter than humans, and know what they need. Thinking of you...Just Me Stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are thinking of you guys and Emma and hoping she gets her appetite back. We've heard goats milk might be something good to make dogs eat. We know Emma is very well-loved.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mango told us you weren't feeling well so we are stopping by just to let you know we will have your sweet Emma in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tubby 3 pug sent me over, and I am giving the power of my paws to Emma.
    Never be sorry for what you feel....

    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  22. Urban hounds sent us over to wish you and Emma lots of love. All of your feelings, even the sad ones, are born of love, and that is not wrong. You expressed beautifully all of the love in the bond between you and Emma. I hope she will soon be feeling and eating much better. Lots of good advice from others about making eating yummier; don't feel bad about the pills in the food, that's a very useful strategy and you didn't do anything wrong. In fact please try not to feel bad about anything - you love Emma and trust me, she knows!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Emma is in our hearts. Keep the spirits high.

    - Puddle

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh we are sending love

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://www.dogisgodinreverse.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I'm soooo sorry I'm so late - I've really been absent from Blogville too because of all the travelling lately - just finally catching up noq and very upset to hear about Emma.

    Please, please don't beat yourself up - you are the most wonderful owner any dog could ask for and Emma has had a fantastic life, with nothing to regret. I know it's human nature to start wishing everything had been rosy when you're worried about losing someone but I actually think it's important to have balance in life - and if that included you "raising your voice" sometimes or not always being able to give Emma everything she wanted, that was part of the whole package - which made Emma's life fuller. You can't say you've really lived if everything was too "perfect".

    I'm hoping that this is a temporary set-back and that after some trial & error, Emma will regain some of her appetite and gain weight back again, even if it is a slow process. As for getting her to eat - I don't know if someone might have suggested this already (haven't read through the other comments) but have you tried sprinkling/mixing in some "stinky fish" into her food? Coz you know appetite is very dependent on smell and so some really strong smelling stuff might coax Emma's interest again. Like tinned tuna or salmon (rinse them out if you're worried they're too oily) - which would also have good protein & oils for her. You could also try anything else that's really smelly - eg. pate or even stuff like peanut butter. Not a lot but just mixed into the food. Or maybe even a tasty, warm chicken broth (roast chicken always smells amazing!) poured over her food. Also, food always smells more when warm - so maybe try to warm up all her food from now on. And I don't know if her teeth are OK but perhaps if the food was softer/more "soup-like", she might enjoy lapping it up more? You can still get the same nutrition to her but just have the rice & mince or macaroni, etc covered in a tasty, warm soup. These are just some ideas off the top of my head. Good luck!

    Hsin-Yi

    ReplyDelete